<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10886767\x26blogName\x3dIn+The+Crowd\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://inthecrowd.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://inthecrowd.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3448034796244855862', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

In The Crowd

Monday, May 23, 2005

Google Map hacks wishlist

My apologies if I am boring everyone with my current obsession. There's new stuff showing up every day that is just too exciting, I'll refrain from linking it here since it's already on my maphacks bookmarks (now permanently linked under my pic to the right). But I want more. The level of expertise required to create these is beyond my capabilities, so here's a short wishlist if anyone's feeling ambitious:

- Metrobot mashup: Use the Google Maps interface to see all businesses on a street or in a neighborhood. May only be useful to me or someone moving into a new neighborhood, but it would be very cool.

- UPS/FedEx/USPS hubs with weather forecasts: Sending something that could be damaged by cold or heat? The first wine store I worked at lost an entire quarter's worth of profits after their campaign to expand shipping to the midwest ended in a lot of red slush and broken glass. Every wine shipper I know checks the weather forecast daily in every shipper's hubs, this would save a lot of time.

- Displaying a path: Yes, you can create markers with link to photos, text and movies. But you can't show how they are related to each other or any kind of timeline. Let's say I want to put the Mission mural tour online, or document a road trip. Wouldn't a trail of some kind be useful?

2 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous she said…

    You've got me inspired. When I join the ranks of the unemployed next week I think I'll have to try this out myself.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Andrew said…

    I agree about publishing trails. Just a lot of different pictures, etc is nice, but not necessarily contextually helpful.

    It would be nice to put up guided walking tours of towns, or murals (like your suggestion). The tour would pull up pictures along the tour, offer discussion, etc.

    Other users could then go and add commentary to the tour and annotate it. I think this is what geobloggers is working on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home