<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10886767\x26blogName\x3dIn+The+Crowd\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://inthecrowd.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://inthecrowd.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3448034796244855862', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

In The Crowd

Monday, April 04, 2005

Monday again already?

Time flies when you're having fun, I guess. I had a great weekend. Kicked the whole thing off on Thursday by checking out the Latin American Club, which despite its name is not Latin American at all. Well, it's in the Mission, but that's about it. It is pretty fun though, a little place with very eclectic decor (I like the cuckoo clock collection in particular) and good beer on tap. We sat outside and watched as the place filled up, then stumbled home while evaluating the desirability of the free office furniture sitting out on Valencia St. Note to self: Thursday is free office furniture night.

Saturday I met up with my (formerly imaginary) friend Tina, visiting from London, and we hit a few more bars and checked out a local Thai restaurant. I think she was a little embarrassed when the bartender at Amnesia asked where we knew each other from and I told her. I've gotten used to meeting people through various online boards, blogs, etc. but I guess it still sounds strange to most. Maybe it doesn't bother me because I know these are friends and not dates, so I don't have a big emotional investment in it. Hmmmm. In any case, I'm happy to say that Tina was as normal and fun in person as I thought she'd be. Which was a good thing, because on Sunday we spent the entire day hanging out together with even more internet friends. I'd actually met Leslie and Randy before at a music festival, they're possibly more obsessed with live music than I am and of course they're both engineers. Two out of every three people I meet will inevitably turn out to be engineers, someday scientists will isolate the Engineer Attractor gene I'm carrying and sell it for big bucks to major headhunting firms.

We started out at MoMA, where I highly recommend you check out the Robert Bechtle retrospective if you get the chance. Then on to Sausalito for lunch, and hiking in Muir Woods in the afternoon. Despite the rain, it was beautiful and exciting to see, especially for Tina who had never seen our famous North American ancient trees before. We finally ended up at Insalata's for dinner. It was Leslie's choice and a good one, I had the Estofado with a 2001 Marimar Torres, Russian River Valley Pinot Noir from Don Juan vineyard. The Estofado is a kind of Portuguese pot roast with a bitter orange gravy, which paired very well with the heavier black currant and cedar flavors of the Pinot Noir. I think I just slipped back into wine geek mode, sorry about that. Leslie and Randy insisted on paying for everything, which of course means I'm planning my retaliation right now. They've set the bar pretty high, but I think I can top it. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home