<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07510886767\46blogName\75In+The+Crowd\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75SILVER\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://inthecrowd.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_US\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://inthecrowd.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-3448034796244855862', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

In The Crowd

Friday, March 18, 2005

We all have our obsessions

I walked over to the Hayes Valley yesterday to treat myself to a nice haircut. Of course since my sleep schedule is completely off I was running late for my 1:00 pm appointment, and I had nothing but black coffee in my system. I mention this to give you some idea of the kind of hurry I was in to get home by 2:00 pm or so to eat lunch. Hayes Valley is filled with all kinds of cute bakeries and little boutiques, modern furniture stores, galleries and hair salons. I could've happily spent spent an afternoon window shopping, but I was determined to make it home for lunch (especially considering how much I had just dropped on my hair).

However, on my way home I passed by Flax, and not realizing exactly how large a store it was (or what was really inside) I thought I could just poke my head in for a second. I have to stop here and remind you all of a couple of things. The first is that I have still not been back to Amoeba, because I recognize danger when I see it and I know that I am neither emotionally nor financially ready. The second is that when I moved, I had two banker's boxes filled with stationery supplies. I'm probably the only person you know who has engraved correspondence cards with matching lined envelopes, and uses them. I am a hardcore stationery geek. I also had two boxes filled with craft supplies, and I donated another three boxes of crafty stuff before I left. Now take a look at the link to Flax. From the pictures on the front page, you'd think it had a small selection of gift items, right? That's what I thought. No. See the links at top, the ones labelled collage and the paper catalog? DANGER. I was going to describe what I found in loving detail, but you're either the kind of person who will spend three hours on that website drooling or you just don't care, so I won't. Suffice to say that it was a good thing I was really hungry when I got there and that they don't have a cafe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home